If you open a QuickBooks file in multi-user mode you get this message:
You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202);
You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and that computer needs additional installation and setup. (H101, H303 and H505)
Are you leading you clients, or are they leading you?
Together with Brian Tankersley, we put together this best-practices guide to help you lead your clients to the solutions that are best for their business.
The causes of QuickBooks errors (QuickBooks problems) H101, H202, H303 and H505 are:
- Hosting configuration settings are wrong.
- A firewall is blocking communication in or out.
- Damaged or wrong ND file.
- QuickBooks cannot get the IP address of the company file host system.
If one computer has these QuickBooks errors (QuickBooks problems), you usually fix the H101, H202, H303, and H505 QuickBooks errors (QuickBooks problems) by getting a connection with TCP/IP settings. Do not use the steps below unless more than one computer has H101, H202, H303, and H505 QuickBooks errors (QuickBooks problems).
Make sure QuickBooks is on the server. QuickBooks 2007 and later have Server Only installs.
Click the Windows Start button, select All Programs > QuickBooks; If QuickBooks or QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not installed see the install and multi-user setup instructions.
File servers can install QuickBooks as Server Only.
If QuickBooks is installed, set hosting to local files only by following these steps:
- Open QuickBooks.
- Press F2 to open the Product Information screen.
- In the lower left, below Local Server Information, Hosting should be local files only.
If QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed, follow these steps to Restart the QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- Click the Windows Start button and select Run.
- Enter services.msc in the Open field and click OK.
- Right-click QuickBooksDB19 (2009), QuickBooksDB18 (2008) or QuickBooksDB17 (2007); Select Stop.
- Right-click, select Start and Close the window.
- Display extensions for known file types.
- Right-click the Windows Start button and select Explore.
- Select the Tools menu and Folder Options.
- Click the View tab, clear the Hide extensions for known file types box.
- Click the View tab, select Show hidden files and folders, clear the Hide protected system operating files box ; Click Yes on the warning and OK.
- Close Windows Explorer.
Delete the .ND file:
- Search for *.ND.
- In the Results window, right-click the .ND file and select Delete.
- Confirm deletion.
Recreate the .ND file:
- Click the Windows Start button.
- Select All Programs, select QuickBooks > QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click the Scan Folder tab.
- Click the Add Folder button, browse to the company file folder.
- Select the the company file, click the OK button.
- The path to the company file is in the Folders with QuickBooks company files field.
- Click Scan to start the scanning process.
- After the scan is complete, click Close.
Make sure client systems are not trying to host the company file.
1. Open QuickBooks on each client computer.
2. Press F2 to view the Product Information screen.
3. In the lower left corner, below Local Server Information, Hosting should display Off.
If hosting is not Off, switch hosting modes:
1. Login to QuickBooks as an Administrator.
2. Select the File menu, Utilities > Stop Hosting Multi-user Access.
3. When Do you want to stop hosting …? appears. click Yes.
4. When QuickBooks must close the company file and re-open…? appears, click Yes.
5. Press F2 to view Product Information screen and make sure Hosting is Off.
If errors persist, reestablish a connection through TCP/IP settings. For other errors see these instructions or QuickBooks Contact Number 800-518-1838. if your unable to fix QuickBooks Error H101, error h202, error 505. You can call QuickBooks Customer Support Number 1-800-518-1838 with (Toll-Free). Our QuickBooks Customer team resolve QuickBooks related issue and problems.